Titles can mean many things to many people. Subject matter and scope of project can vastly effect what is “acceptable” and marketable for a given book. There are no hard and fast rules, but here is some food for thought.
Based on the project, consider:
- Reflect the subject
- Use keywords – This will help online marketing.
- Simple and straightforward – The title is not a place to add mystery or restrict your audience by education level.
- Length of title (including subtitles) – For some types of books longer titles are allowed for, even expected.
- Considers the target reader
- Set the hook – “Judging a book by it’s cover.”
This section is drawn from http://www.gregathcompany.com/publish/design/title.html